Thursday, December 23, 2010

Taking A Bath Before Waxing

" I am excited about what awaits me in Haiti "

The mother of four Sabine Hediger travels shortly after Christmas in Haiti to the SRC in the cholera tent hospital in Grand-GoĆ¢ve patients maintain. For the nurse and midwife, it is her first overseas deployment.

I'm glad I can spend Christmas at home yet. For the children there is something unusual that I go away to help others. Our youngest is only six, the oldest 13 years old. For the period of my absence I have prepared as in Advent calendars. Every day the kids can unwrap a small packet. When all are open, I'll be back. Thus, the duration of my absence, for it is something tangible.

this I can get away, it takes a lot of organization. Besides my husband also helps my sister, my girlfriend and people from our neighborhood. Fortunately, there are in our municipality has recently become a non-school care program. So the children are well supported during the day.

I am very excited about what awaits me in Haiti. Even as a teenager I had a desire to work abroad again. But first came the study, then the foundation of the family.

When I during my involvement with the Red Cross service a few Years, a presentation on the emergency response team of the Red Cross heard, I knew: This is the opportunity. The missions take three to four weeks, about as long as I can leave my family alone. A year ago I applied for admission to the emergency pool of the SRC. Last fall I attended a ten-day course where we were prepared for use in disaster areas.

That I will not be used as a midwife, but as a nurse in Haiti is no problem for me. I have worked before training as a midwife for several years as a nurse. I am glad that the job in the cholera hospital is clear. The point is, by fluid administration and care of patients to save lives. prepares

worries me more the security situation. I will certainly do everything possible to avoid unnecessary risks. I am also guilty of my family.

>> Donations to the fight against cholera in Haiti

0 comments:

Post a Comment